The Greatest Alpha
Here is a question for you…
What is the greatest alpha that you bring to your customers/clients?
The common answers…
- Beating the Benchmark (this technical one comes first on the list of most people in our industry/profession).
- Market Timing – getting out before the market falls and then getting in before it goes up.
- Selection – Identifying the winning investments and/or avoiding the losers…identifying investments that go up as soon as you invest or ones that deliver high returns with negligible downsides.
- Behavioural Alpha (Narrowing or Eliminating the Gap between Investment Return and Investor Return.
- Helping an investor achieve her/his financial goals.
- + Some Others
Did you come up with a different answer than the above? What is your greatest alpha?
While you reflect on your answer, here is my answer (for you).
Your Greatest Alpha is Your Presence…
Let me explain…
Most people don’t have anyone to talk about money…It’s huge…and I know you realize this.
People don’t talk to their parents, children, spouses, friends, family members and others about money and money related issues/fears/thoughts/feelings. As we all know, money is the number one source of conflict in most families. You see where I am going with this. Thus, your presence itself is a massive gift, the presence of a caring real financial professional.
You are the someone they can talk to freely. You are the someone who listens to them, makes them feel heard.
Your presence is your greatest gift and your greatest alpha.
I hope you understand and appreciate the power of this, because if you don’t, no one else will, and you would have wasted an opportunity to help your clients understand your greatest alpha.